Mulayam speaks against women quota bill yet again
Lucknow: Samajwadi Party President Mulayam
Singh Yadav, who stirred up a controversy by saying that the
women`s reservation bill would only benefit affluent women,
today said the legislation would impede the progress of
backwards and minorities if it came into force.
"Backwards would become more backward and minorities
would remain second grade citizens in case the women`s
reservation comes into force," the SP supremo said addressing
party workers here while welcoming general secretary of BJP`s
Jaunpur unit Samarnath Singh Chauhan into his party.
The SP president challenged both the Congress and BJP
supporting the bill to first grant 50 per cent quota for women
in education and employment if they were really interested in
their welfare and progress.
"The successive Congress governments have done nothing
for these sections," he alleged.
Yadav reiterated that it should be mandatory for all
political parties to field at least 20 per cent women in
Alleging that Congress has been ignoring the interests of
minorities, Yadav said that it was shying away from
implementing the suggestions of Sachchar and Rangnath
On the deadly Naxal attack in Dantewada which claimed the
lives of 75 CRPF personnel, Yadav said he had warned of
internal threat during a meeting with Union Finance Minister
Pranab Mukherji two days before the Maoists struck in
Terming the situation as very serious, he said besides
other steps it was also essential that youths be provided
better education and employment opportunities.
"In case of inability to provide employment, the
government should give unemployment allowance to check youths
from falling prey to such elements, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy