Mulayam to contest from 2 LS seats - Azamgarh and Mainpuri
Lucknow: Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav will contest from the Azamgarh Lok Sabha seat, besides Mainpuri which he presently represents in Parliament.
"Due to demand of party leaders and workers, SP supremo will contest from both Azamgarh and Mainpuri seats," party`s national general secretary Ramgopal Yadav said here today.
The Samajwadi Party had earlier declared Uttar Pradesh cabinet minister Balram Yadav as the party`s candidate from Azamgarh, which has a sizable number of Muslim and Yadav population.
Speculations were rife regarding Mulayam`s candidature from the Azamgarh Lok Sabha constituency, but senior party leader Shivpal Yadav had earlier denied it saying that there was no such proposal.
In the 2009 elections, Mulayam won the Mainpuri seat by a margin of over 1.6 lakh votes. And BJP`s Ramakant Yadav won the Azamgarh constituency by nearly 50,000 votes. SP candidate Durga Prasad Yadav came third in the constituency behind BSP`s Akbar Ahmad Dampi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured