Multi-barrel rocket launcher Pinaka test-fired
Balasore (Odisha): For the second consecutive day, India`s indigenously developed multi-barrel rocket launcher (MBRL) weapon system, `Pinaka` was successfully test fired on Thursday from a defence base at Chandipur-on-sea, about 15 km from here.
"Three rounds of Pinaka rockets were successfully tested today. Four rounds of trial were conducted yesterday," a defence official said.
`Pinaka`, which has undergone several tough tests since 1995, is already inducted into the armed forces. Today`s test was conducted by the personnel from Armament Research and Development Establishment (ARDE) Pune unit at Proof and Experimental Establishment (PXE) firing point-2 at Chandipur, they said.
"The MBRL, capable of acting as a force-multiplier, shall gradually replace the current artillery system in the country," said a senior official.
The sophisticated `Pinaka` is an area weapon system aimed at supplementing the existing artillery gun at a range beyond 30 km. Its quick reaction time and high rate of fire gives an edge to the army during low-intensity warlike situation, he said.
The unguided rocket system is meant to neutralise bigger geographical area with rapid salvo of rockets. With a range of 40 km, `Pinaka` can fire salvo of 12 rockets in 44 seconds, sources said.
One salvo each (12 rockets) from the battery of six launchers is capable of neutralising at a time a target area of 3.9 sq km.?
The system`s capability to incorporate several types of warheads makes it deadly for the enemy as it can even destroy their solid structures and bunkers, a defence official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez