Multi-barrel rocket launcher Pinaka test-fired
Balasore (Odisha): For the second consecutive day, India`s indigenously developed multi-barrel rocket launcher (MBRL) weapon system, `Pinaka` was successfully test fired on Thursday from a defence base at Chandipur-on-sea, about 15 km from here.
"Three rounds of Pinaka rockets were successfully tested today. Four rounds of trial were conducted yesterday," a defence official said.
`Pinaka`, which has undergone several tough tests since 1995, is already inducted into the armed forces. Today`s test was conducted by the personnel from Armament Research and Development Establishment (ARDE) Pune unit at Proof and Experimental Establishment (PXE) firing point-2 at Chandipur, they said.
"The MBRL, capable of acting as a force-multiplier, shall gradually replace the current artillery system in the country," said a senior official.
The sophisticated `Pinaka` is an area weapon system aimed at supplementing the existing artillery gun at a range beyond 30 km. Its quick reaction time and high rate of fire gives an edge to the army during low-intensity warlike situation, he said.
The unguided rocket system is meant to neutralise bigger geographical area with rapid salvo of rockets. With a range of 40 km, `Pinaka` can fire salvo of 12 rockets in 44 seconds, sources said.
One salvo each (12 rockets) from the battery of six launchers is capable of neutralising at a time a target area of 3.9 sq km.?
The system`s capability to incorporate several types of warheads makes it deadly for the enemy as it can even destroy their solid structures and bunkers, a defence official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- 5 homemade fruit packs that’ll make you glow instantly