Multi-barrel rocket launcher Pinaka test-fired
Balasore (Odisha): For the second consecutive day, India`s indigenously developed multi-barrel rocket launcher (MBRL) weapon system, `Pinaka` was successfully test fired on Thursday from a defence base at Chandipur-on-sea, about 15 km from here.
"Three rounds of Pinaka rockets were successfully tested today. Four rounds of trial were conducted yesterday," a defence official said.
`Pinaka`, which has undergone several tough tests since 1995, is already inducted into the armed forces. Today`s test was conducted by the personnel from Armament Research and Development Establishment (ARDE) Pune unit at Proof and Experimental Establishment (PXE) firing point-2 at Chandipur, they said.
"The MBRL, capable of acting as a force-multiplier, shall gradually replace the current artillery system in the country," said a senior official.
The sophisticated `Pinaka` is an area weapon system aimed at supplementing the existing artillery gun at a range beyond 30 km. Its quick reaction time and high rate of fire gives an edge to the army during low-intensity warlike situation, he said.
The unguided rocket system is meant to neutralise bigger geographical area with rapid salvo of rockets. With a range of 40 km, `Pinaka` can fire salvo of 12 rockets in 44 seconds, sources said.
One salvo each (12 rockets) from the battery of six launchers is capable of neutralising at a time a target area of 3.9 sq km.?
The system`s capability to incorporate several types of warheads makes it deadly for the enemy as it can even destroy their solid structures and bunkers, a defence official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand