Mumbai airport, suburbs hit by power failure
Mumbai: Power supply to the city airport was cut for 20 minutes on Thursday evening, while a large part of the city`s suburbs faced a black-out following a grid failure for which power discoms - Reliance Infrastructure and Tata Power - are blaming each other.
Electricity supply to the airport, both domestic as well as international, was cut for 15-20 minutes from 5.45 pm but
there was no impact on flight movement, an airport spokesperson said.
"Our back-up systems got activated immediately and all the essentials like runway lights and X-ray machines for security among others were, working fine," he added.
A spokesperson for Tata Power, which supplies power to the airport, said that electricity supply was cut for 20 minutes and restored on priority. He said rival Reliance`s power station at Dahanu tripped first, followed by its three sub-stations which led to collapse of the grid.
"The failure of power supply in suburban Mumbai has been primarily due to tripping/shut down of the Dahanu plant along with the three receiving station of Reliance Infrastructure. Tata Power`s Trombay and Salsate lines also tripped. The cause for this failure is yet to be ascertained," a Tata Power statement said.
However, a Reliance spokesperson for R-Infra blamed the tripping of a Tata Power line from Trombay to suburban Borivali for the power failure.
"Our Dahanu plant tripped because of this as there was a sudden pressure for more power," he said.
Both the companies said that restoration operations are being carried out and power supply to a majority of the areas has been restored.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state