Mumbai airport, suburbs hit by power failure
Mumbai: Power supply to the city airport was cut for 20 minutes on Thursday evening, while a large part of the city`s suburbs faced a black-out following a grid failure for which power discoms - Reliance Infrastructure and Tata Power - are blaming each other.
Electricity supply to the airport, both domestic as well as international, was cut for 15-20 minutes from 5.45 pm but
there was no impact on flight movement, an airport spokesperson said.
"Our back-up systems got activated immediately and all the essentials like runway lights and X-ray machines for security among others were, working fine," he added.
A spokesperson for Tata Power, which supplies power to the airport, said that electricity supply was cut for 20 minutes and restored on priority. He said rival Reliance`s power station at Dahanu tripped first, followed by its three sub-stations which led to collapse of the grid.
"The failure of power supply in suburban Mumbai has been primarily due to tripping/shut down of the Dahanu plant along with the three receiving station of Reliance Infrastructure. Tata Power`s Trombay and Salsate lines also tripped. The cause for this failure is yet to be ascertained," a Tata Power statement said.
However, a Reliance spokesperson for R-Infra blamed the tripping of a Tata Power line from Trombay to suburban Borivali for the power failure.
"Our Dahanu plant tripped because of this as there was a sudden pressure for more power," he said.
Both the companies said that restoration operations are being carried out and power supply to a majority of the areas has been restored.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried