Mumbai attacks: Headley, Rana to be sentenced in January
Chicago: The sentencing of American-born Lashkar-e-Toiba terrorist David Headley, accused of involvement in 26/11 Mumbai attacks, has been fixed for January 17 next year while that of his accomplice Tahawwur Rana has been rescheduled for January 15 from December 04.
According to Chicago court spokesperson Randall Samborn, US District Judge Harry Leinenweber will announce the sentence of the two accused, who have been charged with conspiracy of 2008 Mumbai attack and plan to attack a Denmark newspaper.
"The sentencing date for Tahawwur Rana has been rescheduled from December 04, 2012, to January 15, 2013, and the sentencing of David Coleman Headley has been scheduled for January 17, 2013.”
"Each sentencing hearing is scheduled to begin at 9:45 am on those dates before US District Judge Harry Leinenweber of the Dirksen Federal Courthouse," the spokesperson said.
The 52-year-old Healdey, who conducted reconnaissance of all the targets in the 26/11 Mumbai attacks for Lashker-e-Toiba, has pleaded guilty of all the charges framed by the Federal Bureau of Investigations.
Headley was accused by the FBI of plotting against the employees of a newspaper in Copenhagen and later of conspiring to bomb targets in Mumbai, providing material support to terror group Lashkar-e-Toiba and aiding and abetting the murder of US citizens in the 2008 Mumbai attacks.
Headley pleaded guilty to all charges on March 18, 2010.
The terrorist could have faced death on charges of conspiracy to bomb public places in India and six counts of murdering US nationals in India but he escaped it by entering into a plea bargaining with the FBI under which he will cooperate with their investigation of terrorist activities.
Rana was held guilty by a jury on June 10, 2011 of conspiracy to attack a Denmark newspaper and aiding Lashker-e-Toiba but was acquitted of involvement in the Mumbai attacks in 2008.
Rana`s plea for acquittal and retrial was dismissed in June this year after which December 04 was fixed for his sentencing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP wins big, grabs 81 BMC seats; Fadnavis credits PM Narendra Modi
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway