Mumbai attacks: The mystery behind ‘pink box’
New Delhi: As per the latest WikiLeaks “India Cables”, the United States believed that a pink box was found at one of the 26/11 Mumbai attacks sites and that it could play a pivotal role in proving the Pakistani angle to the attacks, but was peeved that India was not sharing information about it.
As per the US Embassy cable from Islamabad ( 204888: confidential) sent by Charge d`Affaires Gerald Feierstein on April 30, 2009, accessed by a leading newspaper, Pakistan had handed over to US’ Federal Bureau of Investigation a similar box recovered during the probe in that country.
As per the cables, the US was of the view that pink box handed over to them by Pakistan was “possibly the most important piece of evidence shared with the FBI,” as it would help in proving the charge that the conspiracy to launch an attack on India’s financial nerve centre was hatched in Pakistan.
However, the US felt that for the successful “analysis” of the evidence, India needs to provide samples of the foam-covered pink box recovered from Mumbai and the reluctance on India’s part was hampering the successful prosecution of the case in Pakistan.
In Pakistan, the pink box was recovered by country’s Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) from a training camp in Sindh province that was attended by the Mumbai attackers. The FBI was looking to match the foam and glue samples of the box with the one found in India.
Moreover, as per the cables, the US officials had assisted the Pakistani investigators to prepare the prosecution case against the five men then in judicial custody — LeT operations commander Zaki ur-Rehman Lakhvi, Hammad Ameen Sadiq, Mazhar Iqbal (aka al Qama), Abdul Wajid (aka Zarrar Shah), and Shahid Jamil Riaz.
The communication emphasised that in order to successfully prosecute them, Pakistan needs significant evidence sharing from both the US and India.
However, the fact remains that India and Pakistan had been exchanging a number of dossiers purportedly containing crucial information about the conspiracy behind the dastardly attack on November 26, 2008.
India had all along stressed that it had handed over to Pakistan all the evidence it needed to prosecute those responsible for the crime but Pakistan had been claiming that there is no credible proof to implicate the likes of Jammat-ud-Dawaah chief Hafiz Saeed and others in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks