Mumbai BJP cancels felicitation of Rajnath Singh, Narendra Modi
Mumbai: The BJP Sunday cancelled a function where party chief Rajnath Singh and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi were to be felicitated, a party official said.
Singh was due to be felicitated by Mumbai`s BJP for his recent election as the party`s all-India president while Modi was to be honoured for his victory in the Gujarat assembly elections, said Mumbai BJP president Raj Purohit.
"In view of the severe drought in Maharashtra, both the leaders requested that the felicitation function of March 17 be cancelled," Purohit said in a terse statement issued here.
Incidentally, the move follows an appeal made to Singh by RTI activist Anil Galgali who wrote to the BJP chief explaining the drought and farmers` crisis affecting Maharashtra.
"Such a function will send a wrong signal to the people of Maharashtra. This will cause a grave loss of face to the BJP," Galgali said in his letter to Singh, urging him to direct the Mumbai BJP to cancel the felicitation function.
Singh and Modi were to be felicitated at the sprawling Somaiya Grounds in north-east Mumbai next Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you