Mumbai BJP cancels felicitation of Rajnath Singh, Narendra Modi
Mumbai: The BJP Sunday cancelled a function where party chief Rajnath Singh and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi were to be felicitated, a party official said.
Singh was due to be felicitated by Mumbai`s BJP for his recent election as the party`s all-India president while Modi was to be honoured for his victory in the Gujarat assembly elections, said Mumbai BJP president Raj Purohit.
"In view of the severe drought in Maharashtra, both the leaders requested that the felicitation function of March 17 be cancelled," Purohit said in a terse statement issued here.
Incidentally, the move follows an appeal made to Singh by RTI activist Anil Galgali who wrote to the BJP chief explaining the drought and farmers` crisis affecting Maharashtra.
"Such a function will send a wrong signal to the people of Maharashtra. This will cause a grave loss of face to the BJP," Galgali said in his letter to Singh, urging him to direct the Mumbai BJP to cancel the felicitation function.
Singh and Modi were to be felicitated at the sprawling Somaiya Grounds in north-east Mumbai next Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued