Mumbai BJP cancels felicitation of Rajnath Singh, Narendra Modi
Mumbai: The BJP Sunday cancelled a function where party chief Rajnath Singh and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi were to be felicitated, a party official said.
Singh was due to be felicitated by Mumbai`s BJP for his recent election as the party`s all-India president while Modi was to be honoured for his victory in the Gujarat assembly elections, said Mumbai BJP president Raj Purohit.
"In view of the severe drought in Maharashtra, both the leaders requested that the felicitation function of March 17 be cancelled," Purohit said in a terse statement issued here.
Incidentally, the move follows an appeal made to Singh by RTI activist Anil Galgali who wrote to the BJP chief explaining the drought and farmers` crisis affecting Maharashtra.
"Such a function will send a wrong signal to the people of Maharashtra. This will cause a grave loss of face to the BJP," Galgali said in his letter to Singh, urging him to direct the Mumbai BJP to cancel the felicitation function.
Singh and Modi were to be felicitated at the sprawling Somaiya Grounds in north-east Mumbai next Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand