Mumbai blasts: No CBI appeal against Sanjay Dutt’s acquittal
New Delhi: CBI`s petitions in the Supreme
Court challenging the acquittals and seeking enhancement of
punishment of some convicts in connection with the 1993 Mumbai
serial blasts was today strongly objected on the grounds of
delay by the agency in contesting the TADA court`s decision.
The agency has filed petitions in which it has challenged
the acquittal of 23 accused by the Mumbai TADA court and has
also sought enhancement of punishment of 25 persons who were
held guilty for the serial blasts.
However, CBI has not filed an appeal against the
absolvement of Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt under the stringent
Dutt, 50, was only held guilty and sentenced to six years
for possessing illegal arms under the Arms Act but CBI has not
sought enhancement of his punishment to the maximum of 10
When the appeals came for hearing before a bench
comprising Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan and Justices R M
Lodha and B S Chauhan, the lawyers appearing for the acquitted
and convicted persons contended that the CBI`s petitions
cannot be entertained as they were time-barred.
Senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi, appearing for some of the
acquitted persons pointed out that CBI was late by 800 days in
filing the appeals and there was no proper explanation for the
Under TADA, appeals have to be filed within 30 days of
the decision which could only be relaxed by the apex court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- French Open 2016, Day 8: Muguruza, Rogers, Murray, Wawrinka into quarters
- Comets responsible for initiating life on planet Earth: Study
- Twitter profile picture may reveal your personality
- BJP names 12 candidates for Rajya Sabha seat; Venkaiah Naidu, Nirmala Sitharaman, Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi tops list
- 'Government should make Amitabh face of tobacco control campaign'