Mumbai blasts not a suicide attack: Maha ATS chief
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Sunday, July 17, 2011, 09:26
  
Zeenews Bureau

Mumbai: Three days after three blasts ripped through the busy market areas of Mumbai, Maharashtra Anti Terrorist Squad (ATS) chief Rakesh Maria on Saturday said the blasts do not look like fidayeen (suicide) attacks.

“From the investigations so far, these do not seem to be suicide blasts,” Maria said addressing a press conference here.

“Ammonium nitrate, digital timer and fuel oil were used to carry out the blasts. The bombs were placed in metallic containers,” he said.

“The police is preparing a sketch of one of the accused based on an eyewitness’ account,” Maria informed adding, “the sketch would be prepared by tonight and circulated among the investigators.”

The ATS chief said that the CCTV footages of the blast sites are being studied. “Some of the CCTV footages were grainy and in a day or two, investigators will be able to get better images from the CCTV footage”, he said.

Based on eyewitness' accounts, a sketch of a probable suspect would be prepared.

The ATS chief said that a massive manhunt is on in Mumbai and other parts of the country to crack the case. “It is an all out effort. The Mumbai police is in constant touch with its counterparts in Delhi, UP, Gujarat, Andhra, West Bengal and Karnataka. In addition, central agencies are working in tandem with Mumbai police in the investigation,” he said.

"(Members of) various modules arrested in the past are being questioned (to see) if they can help in the solving the blast case," Maria said.

Maria informed that some accused currently lodged in Madhya Pradesh had been questioned in a bid to get the leads.

Maria said all possible angles are being probed including the underworld’s involvement. Adding a strange angle to the probe, Maria speculated that the attack could have been a part of a conspiracy to extract ransom from diamond traders.

On being asked to give specific information, Maria refused to divulge details saying the case was in a sensitive stage and everything would be shared at the “appropriate time”.

He however asserted, “There were some good leads. The investigation is moving towards the right direction. We are confident that we will crack the case soon.”

Nineteen people were killed in the three blasts and over 130 were injured.


First Published: Saturday, July 16, 2011, 17:41


comments powered by Disqus