Mumbai blasts: SC rejects Zaibunisha Kazi`s plea, 2 others
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday rejected the pleas moved by 1993 Mumbai blasts convicts - Zaibunisha Anwar Kazi, Issaq Mohd Hajwane and Shariff Abdul Gafoor Parker alias Dadabhai – seeking more time to surrender.
The apex court, while passing its order said, “Extension of time to surrender can`t be given on the ground that clemency plea is pending before the President.”
The three convicts in the case had approached the highest court
for extension of time to surrender.
They had pleaded the court that time limit fixed by the apex court be extended till their clemency plea is decided by the President.
However, there has been no decision yet on the plea for extension of time moved by Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt, convicted under the Arms Act in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case.
The actor on Monday moved the highest court pleading it to grant him six more months before he is imprisoned to allow him to complete his film commitments.
On March 21, the Supreme Court had upheld Dutt`s conviction under the Arms Act in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case and sentenced him to five years in jail.
He was asked to surrender in four weeks to serve his remaining term of about three-and-a-half years.
As Dutt has already served 18 months in jail, he would have to undergo the imprisonment for three-and-a-half-years.
In his plea, Dutt has pleaded that he should be granted more time to surrender in order to complete his film projects as huge money has been invested by the producers in these projects and these would be affected.
He has to surrender on or before April 18.
Interestingly, Dutt had earlier said that he will abide by the Supreme Court’s verdict and will surrender within the given time frame.
Dutt had also revealed that he won’t seek pardon from the Governor in the case. He had said, "I have the highest respect for Supreme Court`s terms and conditions put on me. I want to thank whoever supported us during the ordeal."
Justice Markandey Katju, the chairman of the Press Council of India, in a letter to President Pranab Mukherjee last month, sought pardon for Sanjay Dutt under Article 72 of the Constitution.
Katju wrote that Dutt acquired the weapon for self-defence and not for any terrorist activity. Since he was not involved in the 1993 Mumbai blasts, justice, in Dutt`s case, should be tempered with mercy, the retired judge held.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah