Mumbai ‘dabbawallahs’ on strike to support Anna
Mumbai: Striking work for the first time in their 120-year-old history, Mumbai`s famed dabbawalas Friday stepped forth to support Anna Hazare in his fight for a stronger Lokpal bill.
Nearly two lakh Mumbaikars depend on the dabbawalas for lunch. But Friday was a day for them either to eat at their office canteen, or order from or visit a neighbourhood restaurant -- if they were not on a holiday due to Navroz, the Parsi New Year.
For finance professional Akshay Magji, it is a working day and eating food outside was an additional pressure.
"It has been an additional pressure on me. Yesterday (Thursday) already I faced strikes by buses and trains disrupting the local commute," he said.
"Now with dabbawalas on strike, I was forced to eat outside in some restaurant. It consumed more than an hour of my time, plus I didn`t get to eat home-made food," he added.
Agreed software professional Shrenik Mehta. "Is it not irritating enough that I have to work when most of my friends are enjoying the holiday?" he asked.
"With dabbawalas` strike, I am deprived of home-made food. I know they have been meticulous in delivery of tiffins so far. I would request them to support Anna - but not at the cost of the common man," he added.
But those on holiday were relaxed.
"Yesterday (Thursday) when I heard about the dabbawalas` strike, I thought I would have to waste time and money to eat at a restaurant. But then I remembered it is a holiday and relaxed," said Khantil Shah, a public relations professional who has been ordering tiffins the past three years.
Over 5,000 dabbawalas began a rally from Churchgate station to Azad Maidan in south Mumbai to support Hazare.
"We are breaking our 120-year-old tradition by not providing tiffins today. This is the least we can do to support Annaji who was jailed for three days and has been fasting since," said Nutan Dabbalwala Trust secretary Kiran Gavande.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Bihar intermediate result 2015 (commerce) on biharboard.ac.in