Mumbai eatery closure: `Height of intolerance`, says Narendra Modi
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday termed the forceful closure of an eatery in Mumbai by Congress workers as an act of `intolerance`.
Reacting on the matter Modi tweeted: "Height of intolerance."
Congress leaders forced an eatery in Parel to shut down because the owner had printed bills with a note slamming the UPA government.
The owner of the restaurant Srinivas Shetty, had printed the note on food bills as a mark of protest on tax on AC restaurants.
The note on bill receipts read: "As per UPA government, eating money (2G, Coal, CWG scam) is a necessity and eating food in an AC restaurant is a luxury".
On getting to know of the matter, Congress workers allegedly barged into the restaurant Aditi Pure Veg, located on Dr E Borges Road opposite KEM Hospital on Monday, and asked the owner to close the place.
The protest is said to have been led Ganesh Kumar Yadav, who is the city president of the party’s youth wing.
They also approached Bhoiwada police against the owner of the place for defamation.
Later, a non-cognisable complaint (NC) was slapped on the proprietor. He has been booked for printing matter known to be defamatory (Section 501 of IPC).
The central government has introduced service tax on eating at air-conditioned restaurants in recent times.
Meanwhile, talking exclusively to Zee News Ganesh Kumar Yadav said, "We did not do anything. We complained to the police regarding the matter. We did not break anything or trouble anyone in the restaurant. We took legal recourse. We have a right to do that. No case has been slapped against us."
However, the eatery reopened today. But the note on the bills have been removed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Solapur Municipal Corporation, Congress bastion, wrested by BJP