Mumbai eatery closure: `Height of intolerance`, says Narendra Modi
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday termed the forceful closure of an eatery in Mumbai by Congress workers as an act of `intolerance`.
Reacting on the matter Modi tweeted: "Height of intolerance."
Congress leaders forced an eatery in Parel to shut down because the owner had printed bills with a note slamming the UPA government.
The owner of the restaurant Srinivas Shetty, had printed the note on food bills as a mark of protest on tax on AC restaurants.
The note on bill receipts read: "As per UPA government, eating money (2G, Coal, CWG scam) is a necessity and eating food in an AC restaurant is a luxury".
On getting to know of the matter, Congress workers allegedly barged into the restaurant Aditi Pure Veg, located on Dr E Borges Road opposite KEM Hospital on Monday, and asked the owner to close the place.
The protest is said to have been led Ganesh Kumar Yadav, who is the city president of the party’s youth wing.
They also approached Bhoiwada police against the owner of the place for defamation.
Later, a non-cognisable complaint (NC) was slapped on the proprietor. He has been booked for printing matter known to be defamatory (Section 501 of IPC).
The central government has introduced service tax on eating at air-conditioned restaurants in recent times.
Meanwhile, talking exclusively to Zee News Ganesh Kumar Yadav said, "We did not do anything. We complained to the police regarding the matter. We did not break anything or trouble anyone in the restaurant. We took legal recourse. We have a right to do that. No case has been slapped against us."
However, the eatery reopened today. But the note on the bills have been removed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan