Mumbai gang-rape victim undergoes surgery, stable
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: The Mumbai gang-rape victim underwent surgery on Friday and is stable, doctors have said.
According to a spokesperson of the Jaslok Hospital where the woman photojournalist is admitted, the victim is able to speak but is still in a state of mental shock.
The photojournalist was brutally gang-raped yesterday inside the deserted Shakti Mills Compound in Mahalaxmi by five men one of whom has been arrested and the other four identified.
Her male friend was tied up when she was gang-raped.
"She has been under treatment since last night. She underwent a minor surgical procedure today and now her condition has improved and stabilized. We expect a speedy recovery," the spokesperson told mediapersons here this evening.
The woman, working as an intern photojournalist with an English magazine, was attacked along with her male colleague when they were on a late evening assignment inside the sprawling Shakti Mills Compound.
They were confronted by five people who allegedly first assaulted and tied up the male colleague, and later gang-raped the woman in thick undergrowth of the mill compound.
Police learnt of the incident after the duo reached the hospital where they were admitted for treatment last night.
Claiming to have cracked the case by nabbing one accused and having identified the other culprits, Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh said the others would be nabbed soon.
According to Singh, the accused are in their early 20s and live in the vicinity of the abandoned mill.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan announced that the state government will bear all the medical expenses of the victim and extend all possible help to her family.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh