Mumbai HC relief for Hasan Ali Khan`s wife
Mumbai: In a relief to Rheema Khan, the wife
of Hasan Ali Khan (who has been arrested in an alleged
multi-crore money laundering scam), the Bombay High Court
on Wednesday granted her exemption from appearing before a special
court which has initiated criminal proceedings against her.
The special Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA)
court, on June 17, issued proceedings against Rheema on the
complaint filed by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) for
non-appearance before the agency despite summons.
Rheema then approached High Court, seeking quashing of
the proceedings, and exemption from personal appearance.
Her counsels Shashank Manohar and I A Bagaria argued
that the PMLA court had no power to initiate criminal
proceedings, it can only impose fine on a person in such
"Just because her husband is arrested does it mean that
you (should) summon her? Why should she be asked to attend the
court personally, when the fine amount is just between Rs 500
to Rs 10,000?" Justice B R Gavai asked.
Revati Dhere, counsel for ED, informed the court that
the agency had to approach the special court as Rheema had not
responded to as many as 23 summons issued by ED, for recording
Dere also told the court that ED would not seek Rheema`s
Justice Gavai then directed the special court to decide
whether she should appear before ED, within four weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued