Mumbai HC relief for Hasan Ali Khan`s wife
Mumbai: In a relief to Rheema Khan, the wife
of Hasan Ali Khan (who has been arrested in an alleged
multi-crore money laundering scam), the Bombay High Court
on Wednesday granted her exemption from appearing before a special
court which has initiated criminal proceedings against her.
The special Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA)
court, on June 17, issued proceedings against Rheema on the
complaint filed by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) for
non-appearance before the agency despite summons.
Rheema then approached High Court, seeking quashing of
the proceedings, and exemption from personal appearance.
Her counsels Shashank Manohar and I A Bagaria argued
that the PMLA court had no power to initiate criminal
proceedings, it can only impose fine on a person in such
"Just because her husband is arrested does it mean that
you (should) summon her? Why should she be asked to attend the
court personally, when the fine amount is just between Rs 500
to Rs 10,000?" Justice B R Gavai asked.
Revati Dhere, counsel for ED, informed the court that
the agency had to approach the special court as Rheema had not
responded to as many as 23 summons issued by ED, for recording
Dere also told the court that ED would not seek Rheema`s
Justice Gavai then directed the special court to decide
whether she should appear before ED, within four weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'