Mumbai: Look-out notice for LeT terrorist
Mumbai: The Mumbai Police on Monday issued a look-out notice for one of the four terrorists who are suspected to be holed up in the city to carry out strikes during New Year.
The Police are suspecting that Mahfooz Alam might be planning to leave the city today, following which the Chatrapati Shivaji International Airport has been put on high-alert.
The Police had last week said that four members of Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) have sneaked into Mumbai recently to carry out "violent" attacks with the aim of causing "destruction".
The Mumbai Police had also released the photograph of one of them and issued an advisory to the citizens of the metropolis to remain alert and report any suspicious activity on the helpline number: 022-22633333.
"The four were identified as Abdul Kareem Moosa, Noor Abu Ilahi, Walid Jinnah and Mahfooz Alam. The four recently sneaked into the city to carry out extremely dangerous activity," Joint Police Commissioner (Crime) Himanshu Roy had said at a news conference. Roy also released a sketch of Jinnah.
He had then said that the strikes were being planned in connection with possibly the Christmas and New Year`s festivities.
Mumbai Police Commissioner Sanjeev Dayal had later said that the four could be "foreigners" and are believed to have infiltrated into the country from the Bangladeshi border.
"The nationality of the four terrorists could not be ascertained yet, but they do not appear to be Indians. They could be from other country or countries," Dayal said.
The `black cat` commandos of the elite NSG were put on "high alert" after the information and were also asked to be ready for quick deployment in Mumbai.
The Central government had also last week sounded a terror alert for Mumbai and Ahmedabad following specific Intelligence inputs that the LeT teams may have entered the two western cities to carry out strikes.
According to Roy, the information of the plans by the terrorists were "fairly specific" and the Police believe “the threat is serious”.
He did not want to speculate whether more than four LeT men have entered the metropolis which witnessed the country`s worst ever terror strike in November 2008 killing 166 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday