Mumbai: Look-out notice for LeT terrorist
Mumbai: The Mumbai Police on Monday issued a look-out notice for one of the four terrorists who are suspected to be holed up in the city to carry out strikes during New Year.
The Police are suspecting that Mahfooz Alam might be planning to leave the city today, following which the Chatrapati Shivaji International Airport has been put on high-alert.
The Police had last week said that four members of Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) have sneaked into Mumbai recently to carry out "violent" attacks with the aim of causing "destruction".
The Mumbai Police had also released the photograph of one of them and issued an advisory to the citizens of the metropolis to remain alert and report any suspicious activity on the helpline number: 022-22633333.
"The four were identified as Abdul Kareem Moosa, Noor Abu Ilahi, Walid Jinnah and Mahfooz Alam. The four recently sneaked into the city to carry out extremely dangerous activity," Joint Police Commissioner (Crime) Himanshu Roy had said at a news conference. Roy also released a sketch of Jinnah.
He had then said that the strikes were being planned in connection with possibly the Christmas and New Year`s festivities.
Mumbai Police Commissioner Sanjeev Dayal had later said that the four could be "foreigners" and are believed to have infiltrated into the country from the Bangladeshi border.
"The nationality of the four terrorists could not be ascertained yet, but they do not appear to be Indians. They could be from other country or countries," Dayal said.
The `black cat` commandos of the elite NSG were put on "high alert" after the information and were also asked to be ready for quick deployment in Mumbai.
The Central government had also last week sounded a terror alert for Mumbai and Ahmedabad following specific Intelligence inputs that the LeT teams may have entered the two western cities to carry out strikes.
According to Roy, the information of the plans by the terrorists were "fairly specific" and the Police believe “the threat is serious”.
He did not want to speculate whether more than four LeT men have entered the metropolis which witnessed the country`s worst ever terror strike in November 2008 killing 166 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress