Mumbai: Passenger triggers mid-air bomb scare
Mumbai: Security agencies in Mumbai went through some tense moments on Thursday when a passenger on an incoming flight from Delhi created panic by claiming that there was a bomb onboard and that the plane be diverted to Pakistan.
The incident happened at around 11.45 am when the Indigo Airlines flight 6E 181 was on its final approach to Mumbai Chatrapati Shivaji International Airport.
The 28-year-old Malik, who hails from Haryana, boarded
the flight at Delhi and when he was served apple juice while
flying, he said that there was a bomb in the juice packet.
He then asked for the flight to be diverted to Pakistan, creating panic amongst the passengers and the crew.
The captain of the aircraft immediately alerted the ground controllers about the threat, throwing Mumbai airport into a tizzy.
The Quick Response Team of the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) was alerted of the emergency. The Indigo aircraft was then given priority landing and as soon as it landed, the QRT men stormed the aircraft and detained the man.
The CISF later handed over the man to the Mumbai Police; who are now grilling him about the motive behind his actions. Malik’s antecedents are also being thoroughly checked.
Unconfirmed media reports, quoting CISF men who took part in the operation, are claiming that Sanjay Malik had said, “I am a Pakistani and I want to do something for the country.”
Sanjay "mentally upset", says mother
"My son is employed in a company at Chandigarh. Last
week, he met with an accident there and has remained mentally
upset since then," Sanjay Mallik`s mother told news agencies over phone.
She said that Sanjay`s father Bansi Lal had left for
Delhi. "Sanjay has been under treatment in Ganganagar after
the accident. We are all shocked to listen to the news," she
said in a choked voice.
About 15 minutes before landing in Mumbai, Mallik, who
hails from Haryana, had claimed there was a bomb in the
aircraft and the flight should be diverted to Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?