Mumbai: Passenger triggers mid-air bomb scare
Mumbai: Security agencies in Mumbai went through some tense moments on Thursday when a passenger on an incoming flight from Delhi created panic by claiming that there was a bomb onboard and that the plane be diverted to Pakistan.
The incident happened at around 11.45 am when the Indigo Airlines flight 6E 181 was on its final approach to Mumbai Chatrapati Shivaji International Airport.
The 28-year-old Malik, who hails from Haryana, boarded
the flight at Delhi and when he was served apple juice while
flying, he said that there was a bomb in the juice packet.
He then asked for the flight to be diverted to Pakistan, creating panic amongst the passengers and the crew.
The captain of the aircraft immediately alerted the ground controllers about the threat, throwing Mumbai airport into a tizzy.
The Quick Response Team of the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) was alerted of the emergency. The Indigo aircraft was then given priority landing and as soon as it landed, the QRT men stormed the aircraft and detained the man.
The CISF later handed over the man to the Mumbai Police; who are now grilling him about the motive behind his actions. Malik’s antecedents are also being thoroughly checked.
Unconfirmed media reports, quoting CISF men who took part in the operation, are claiming that Sanjay Malik had said, “I am a Pakistani and I want to do something for the country.”
Sanjay "mentally upset", says mother
"My son is employed in a company at Chandigarh. Last
week, he met with an accident there and has remained mentally
upset since then," Sanjay Mallik`s mother told news agencies over phone.
She said that Sanjay`s father Bansi Lal had left for
Delhi. "Sanjay has been under treatment in Ganganagar after
the accident. We are all shocked to listen to the news," she
said in a choked voice.
About 15 minutes before landing in Mumbai, Mallik, who
hails from Haryana, had claimed there was a bomb in the
aircraft and the flight should be diverted to Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what