Mumbai Police trims security cover of celebs
Mumbai: In a move that is bound to raise voices of dissent in Bollywood as well as political circles, the Mumbai Police has removed the security cover provided to 54 famous personalities.
It has further downgraded the police protection given to 24 others. In all, the Mumbai Police was providing protection to 78 people.
Among those whose security cover has been totally removed included Bollywood personalities Karan Johar, Firoz Nadiadwala, Himesh Reshammiya, Vivek Oberoi and Pritish Nandy.
Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray’s PA Ravindra Mhatre, former IPL chairman Lalit Modi’s son Ruchir and daughter Aliya, Narayan Rane’s PAs Ravi Kamath and Ravi Shedge, and politician-turned-reality-star Rahul Mahajan have also lost their security cover.
Additionally, the security cover of superstar Shah Rukh Khan, lawyer Majid Memon, Lalit Modi and his wife Minal, former home minister Jayant Patil`s family, and politicians Nawab Malik and Suresh Prabhu has been downgraded.
The move comes in the wake of concerns that most had sought protection as a status symbol.
Questions were also raised as it was believed that several people with underworld connections had also got protection from the Mumbai Police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH