Mumbai rape accused will be prosecuted expeditiously: Shinde
New Delhi: The Maharashtra government will "do its utmost" to complete the investigation in the Mumbai gang-rape case and prosecute the accused expeditiously, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said on Monday.
Making a statement in the Lok Sabha, Shinde said: "All the five accused have been arrested. Public order and police are subjects exclusively dealt with by the state."
"The government of Maharashtra will do utmost to complete the investigation in the crime and prosecute the accused under law expeditiously," he said.
Shinde said he has spoken to Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and was assured that the case would be tried in a fast-track court and verdict would be announced fast.
A 22-year-old photojournalist was raped by five men in an abandoned textile mill complex in central Mumbai last week after her male colleague was beaten and tied-up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan