Munde may face EC’s ire over Rs 8 crore remarks
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Gopinath Munde is in trouble over his remarks on the spending in election campaigns. According to reports, the Election Commission is expected to issue a notice to Munde over spending Rs 8 crore during his election campaign in 2009.
According to sources, the Election Commission is gathering evidence regarding Munde`s comments. It may issue a notice to Munde on Monday.
Advocating state funding of elections, Munde had pointed, "I spent Rs 29,000 when I contested my first Assembly poll in 1980. But had to spend Rs 8 crore for my last election.”
According to the rules, a candidate is allowed to spend a maximum of Rs 40 lakh for an election campaign. The statement of BJP’s deputy leader in Lok Sabha suggests a clear violation of the rules.
Munde had given the statement during a book launch function on Thursday in the presence of BJP poll panel chief Narendra Modi and former party president Nitin Gadkari.
Reacting to Munde’s statement, the Congress demanded his disqualification from the Lok Sabha. Congress leader Sanjay Nirupam said Munde`s comments showed that he violated laws governing election expenditure, and Election Commission must take note of it.
Nirupam, who is an MP from North Mumbai, said EC should initiate proceedings for his disqualification.
"I will urge EC to call Munde for enquiry and take action against him," he told reporters outside Congress headquarters in the national capital.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?