Munde meets Venkaiah; Gadkari stays away
New Delhi: Senior BJP leader Gopinath Munde, sulking over some decisions taken in his own state Maharashtra, on Saturday held discussions with senior party colleagues M Venkaiah Naidu and Ananth Kumar, but party president Nitin Gadkari stayed away from the exercise.
Gadkari, who also hails from Maharashtra and with whom Munde is said to have strong differences, may meet the disgruntled leader here in a bid to sort out the issues raised by the latter.
Gadkari was scheduled to attend the meeting of the central leadership with Munde here today. While senior leaders LK Advani, Naidu and Kumar were in the national capital,
Gadkari was away in Dehradun holding a meeting with Uttarakhand Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank and state ministers.
After a two-and-half-hour meeting with Naidu and Kumar, Munde indicated the differences had not been sorted out yet. "The meetings with senior party leaders will continue tomorrow," he said.
Naidu, however, appeared hopeful that the differences will be sorted out by tomorrow.
"We have held positive and healthy talks with our senior BJP leader from Maharashtra Gopinath Munde. We are hopeful of an amicable solution after meetings with senior BJP leaders Gadkari and Advani," Naidu said.
Leader of the Opposition in Mahaharashtra Eknath Khadse and his counterpart in Legislative Council Pandurang Phundkar were also present in the meeting.
"Although Munde has no personal problems, the grievances aired by him are those of party workers in the state," Naidu said, adding "Gopinath ji is our senior party leader and we do not wish that he nurtures any pain. We will sort out everything by tomorrow".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Rock stars and celebrities react with dismay to Brexit
- WATCH: How AAP MLA Dinesh Mohaniya was arrested by Delhi Police amidst high drama during press conference
- BJP president Amit Shah sounds poll bugle in Uttarakhand; slams Congress, Harish Rawat
- IIFA 2016: Why should Oscars become benchmark to celebrate Indian cinema, asks Anupam Kher
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues