Murdered IM operative`s lawyer to seek CBI probe
New Delhi: A lawyer representing suspected Indian Mujahideen operative Qateel Mohammed Jaffer Siddiqui, who was found murdered inside his cell in Pune`s Yerawada Central Jail, said on Friday that he would approach the apex court for a CBI probe into the death.
Siddiqui, an accused in the Jama Masjid shootout case of 2010, was on Friday found strangled with a thin rope inside his cell in the high-security jail in Pune.
He was arrested by Delhi Police in November 2011 and was in transit remand in Pune. He was arrested for making an attempt to plant a bomb at the Shrimant Dagdusheth Halwai Ganapati temple in Pune on the day of the German Bakery blast on February 13, 2010.
Siddiqui`s counsel MS Khan said that the terror accused was found murdered on the same day when a chargesheet was filed against him in the Jama Masjid shoot-out case in a Delhi court on Friday.
Khan said the murder of a terror accused in prison is impossible as such accused are kept in fool-proof security. He said there was "some conspiracy" in his client`s murder.
"I will approach the apex court for seeking direction for a CBI investigation in the matter," said Khan. He said he does not agree with the order of the Maharashtra government which has called for a CID probe into the murder.
He said he will also try for handing over of Siddiqui`s body to his family.
Preliminary investigations suggest a gang war among members of rival mafias in the prison, which could have led to Siddiqui`s killing.
He was arrested for involvement in the Chinnaswamy Stadium blast in Bangalore besides an aborted bid to blow up the Shrimant Dagdusheth Halwai Ganapati temple in Pune last year.
Following the murder, security has been beefed up in several jails including Mumbai`s Arthur Road Central Jail where Pakistani terrorist Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab is lodged and Raigad`s Taloja Jail where extradited don Abu Salem is lodged after he was attacked by rival gangsters in a Mumbai jail last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?