Mursi asks India`s Muslims to play a `positive` role
New Delhi: Visiting Egyptian President Mohammed Mursi met top Indian Muslim leaders and asked them to play a more positive role, stressing there is no other country in the world that is as multi-religious as India. He sought deepening of ties with India.
Mursi took out time from his hectic schedule to meet Muslim leaders and asked them to play a more active and positive role in the socio-economic development of India, which he described as a "multi-religious country that is highly respected in the international community".
He also briefed them about latest political and security situation in Syria, Palestine and other parts of the Middle East. He stated that he is making serious efforts to find an amicable and lasting solution to the Palestine dispute.
He said that issues need to be resolved peacefully and not by violent means. He is also understood to have briefed Muslims on the Egyptian situation.
Jamaat Islami chief Maulana Syed Jalaluddin Umri, Jamait-Ulema-Hind president Maulana Arshad Madni, Jamait Ahle Hadees chief Maulana Asghar Ali Mehdi, Shahi Imam of Fatehpuri Mosque Mufti Mohammed Mukkaram and several other leaders were present at the meeting.
Mursi, who belongs to ruling Muslim Brotherhood Party, elicited views on various issues faced by the Muslims all over the world.
He said that India is a home to various religions and there is no other country in the world that is as multi-religious as India. He said that India and Egypt have enjoyed historical relations for centuries and there is a need to deepen them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video