Muslim cleric wants Mamata Banerjee to support Congress
Zee Media Bureau/Deepak Nagpal
Kolkata: A Muslim cleric, considered close to West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, has said that the firebrand leader should support the Congress.
As per reports, Imam Barkati, the Shahi Imam of the Tipu Sultan mosque in Kolkata, said he endorses Congress leader Rahul Gandhi`s campaign against Narendra Modi and his party, the BJP, adding he wants Mamata to follow suit.
According to him, Muslims want Mamata to speak more strongly against the BJP like Rahul Gandhi.
"We know she is secular but If Mamata Banerjee wants to prove her secular credentials, she should be more aggressive and critical about Modi. Rahul Gandhi has been critical of Modi, we want Mamata Banerjee also to come out openly in criticising Modi," Maulana Barkati told PTI.
"Why is he (Modi) asking for the votes of Muslims, when he has a problem in wearing the Muslim cap. He should be ashamed about asking for our votes. He is an opportunist," he charged.
Barkati said after the General Elections are over, Mamata should support the Congress if the need arises.
Just a few weeks ago, the Imam had said at a Trinamool Congress rally that the TMC chief should become the prime minister.
The Trinamool Congress is aiming to win between 32-35 seats in the Lok Sabha polls and is banking on the over 25 percent Muslim vote in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistani terrorist reveals links with Hafiz Saeed, names handler in PoK to NIA
- 'Jagga Jasoos' will work irrespective of delay if made well: Anurag Basu
- New Chief Justice of Patna HC sworn in
- India in West Indies: With Lokesh Rahul waiting in wings, Cheteshwar Pujara needs to rediscover form
- 'Sultan' Box Office collections: Rs 300 cr does not seem far for Salman Khan, Anushka Sharma starrer