Muslim General takes over Command of key 15 Corps
Srinagar: A Muslim General has assumed
Command of the Army`s key 15 Corps which guards the Line of
Control (LoC) in Kashmir Valley, a defence spokesman said
Lt Gen S A Hasnain, has taken over from Lt Gen Naresh
Chandra Marwah as the GoC, and is the second Muslim officer to
command the 15 Corps after Lt Gen Zaki in 1989-91.
Lt Gen Hasnain is familiar with Kashmir as he has served tenures in the Valley before the present assignment.
He was Commander of the Uri Brigade when the devastating earthquake struck the areas close to the LoC in
October 2005. He was also a Major General commanding the
Baramulla`s `Dagger Division` in 2008 when Kashmir was
engulfed by street protests during Amarnath land row.
Before taking over the charge of the 15 Corps, the
Corps commander last evening called on Governor NN Vohra.
The Governor discussed infiltration of militants from
the LoC with Lt Gen Hasnain and the effects these have on the
internal security situation in the Valley.
Vohra also called for better synergy between uniformed
forces for tackling any emerging security situation in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA