Muslim groups hail cancellation of Rushdie`s trip
Jaipur, Jan 20 (PTI) Muslim groups on Friday welcomed the
cancellation of controversial author Salman Rushdie`s visit to
the Jaipur Literary festival and said their protest no longer
Representatives of various groups who were opposed to the
visit had already withdrawn their proposed protest last night
following assurance by local police and administration but
when they came to know that the organisers announced
cancellation today, they expressed satisfaction.
"We welcome the move because it is related with religious
sentiments of all the Muslims," Mohammad Salim, National
Secretary of Jamat-e-Islami Hind, said here.
"We were against the particular author not against the
festival. We see Rushdie as a criminal from religious point of
view because he wrote objectionable things about our Prophet.
Freedom of expression does not give right to write or say
anything as Rushdie did," he said.
As far as the intelligence inputs are concerned, we
doubt it. I take it as mere a drama by the author," he said.
"We had planned peaceful but unprecedented mass protests
against his visit but of course anti-social elements sometime
try to create disturbances and we did not want anything like
that to happen so we apprised the organisers as well as the
local administration about our apprehension yesterday," he
Mohammad Nazimuddin, another representative said that
they had planned peaceful protests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar