Muslim leaders condemn attack on Christian properties
New Delhi: Prominent Muslim leaders today
condemned the attacks on Christian properties and institutions
and appealed to their community members to "show restraint"
and stage only peaceful demonstrations.
A day after violence erupted in Jammu and Kashmir and
Punjab following rumours that a copy of Quran was burnt in the
US, the leaders, including MIM leader and MP Asaduddin Owaisi,
came out with a statement against such attacks.
"We disapprove disrespect to any religion or desecration
of any sacred scripture or vilification of any religious
personality or attack on any religious place, anywhere in the
world and consider it a despicable and uncivilised act," the
leaders like All India Muslim Majlis-e-Mushawart President
Syed Shahabuddin said.
They said Islam specifically prohibits such acts and
"...whatever the provocation, we strongly condemn the
attacks on Christian properties and institutions in some
places in Kashmir and in Maler Kotla in Punjab," they said and
urged authorities concerned to take stern legal action against
"We also appeal to our Muslim brethren in India, in
particular, and elsewhere, in general, to show restraint in
such situations and limit their disapproval and protest
against such incidents to peaceful demonstrations, press
statements and memoranda to the authorities concerned," the
It was signed by Nusrat Ali, Secretary General of
Jamaat-e -Islami Hind and Zafar Mahmood, President of
Interfaith Coalition and Zakat Foundation of India.
The rumours that Quran was burnt led to violent
protests in Jammu and Kashmir yesterday. At least 18 people
were killed in the violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Pakistan Daily calls Nawaz Sharif's statement on Kashmir 'wishful thinking and unrealistic'
- Hungarian Grand Prix: Record fifth win sends Lewis Hamilton top
- Olympian predicts record medal haul from Indian shooters at 2016 Rio Games
- Watch video: NASA's SDO captures solar material bursting from the sun!
- Salaries to go up 10.7%, star performers to gain handsomely: Study