Muslim leaders condemn attack on Christian properties
New Delhi: Prominent Muslim leaders today
condemned the attacks on Christian properties and institutions
and appealed to their community members to "show restraint"
and stage only peaceful demonstrations.
A day after violence erupted in Jammu and Kashmir and
Punjab following rumours that a copy of Quran was burnt in the
US, the leaders, including MIM leader and MP Asaduddin Owaisi,
came out with a statement against such attacks.
"We disapprove disrespect to any religion or desecration
of any sacred scripture or vilification of any religious
personality or attack on any religious place, anywhere in the
world and consider it a despicable and uncivilised act," the
leaders like All India Muslim Majlis-e-Mushawart President
Syed Shahabuddin said.
They said Islam specifically prohibits such acts and
"...whatever the provocation, we strongly condemn the
attacks on Christian properties and institutions in some
places in Kashmir and in Maler Kotla in Punjab," they said and
urged authorities concerned to take stern legal action against
"We also appeal to our Muslim brethren in India, in
particular, and elsewhere, in general, to show restraint in
such situations and limit their disapproval and protest
against such incidents to peaceful demonstrations, press
statements and memoranda to the authorities concerned," the
It was signed by Nusrat Ali, Secretary General of
Jamaat-e -Islami Hind and Zafar Mahmood, President of
Interfaith Coalition and Zakat Foundation of India.
The rumours that Quran was burnt led to violent
protests in Jammu and Kashmir yesterday. At least 18 people
were killed in the violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Indian Army prepares to secure Arunachal Pradesh from China
- Priyanka teams with Jodie Foster to reinvent song
- Akshay Kumar hides daughter Nitara's face from the paps and it's so CUTE! Picture proof inside
- Banning cash transactions over Rs 3 lakh under consideration: CBDT
- Both US and India have been tolerant nations since their existence: Acharya Lokesh
- Narsingh Yadav dope case: Grappler took banned substance intentionally, claims CAS