Muslim leaders Irfanullah Khan, Firoz Bakht join AAP
New Delhi: Former JD(U) leader Irfanullah Khan and heritage activist Firoz Ahmed Bakht were among a group of eminent persons from the Muslim community who joined Arvind Kejriwal-led Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) on Thursday.
Welcoming the leaders, Kejriwal said, "Muslims have been treated as bonded and used as vote bank by Congress. They should ask Congress what they have given to them in the past 55 years of its rule since Independence."
"Except for reports, one by Professor Gopal Singh report in 1981 and Justice Sachar Committee report in 2007, they have given nothing to Muslims," Kejriwal said.
Holding Congress responsible for the backwardness of the Muslim community, he said despite trusting Congress for so long, Muslims are living in fear."
"They are jailed on terror charges, but when they are freed by the courts after being innocent then no one comes to give them job so that they could begin their lives," he said.
Kejriwal alleged that both BJP and Congress were treating Hindus and Muslims as their vote bank.
He said in case of a hung assembly after polls in Delhi, AAP will not form an alliance with any party.
Earlier, addressing the function AAP leader Yogendra Yadav said there is a need to end the divisive politics.
Khan, an alumni of Aligarh Muslim University, is a social worker from Zakir Nagar and is likely to be declared as AAP candidate from Okhla constituency while Bakht is a teacher and also works for heritage awareness.
Besides Khan and Bakht, Shakeel Malik, member of All India Minority Committee of Janata Dal United, a number of other alumni from AMU and Jamia Millia Islamia joined the AAP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried