Muslim PIO chosen Mayor of Jewish town in US
Washington: An American Muslim of Indian origin has been elected as the mayor of a Jewish dominated township in New Jersey, across the Hudson river from New York.
Mohammed Hameeduddin, whose roots have been traced to Hyderabad, has become one of the few Muslim mayors in the United States. He was elected the mayor of Teaneck Township in New Jersey last week, following a fierce debate among its council members.
Hameeduddin, who won a council seat two year ago, earned five out of seven votes at the annual reorganisation of township government on July 1. It also elected Adam Gussen, a
devout orthodox Jew, as the Deputy Mayor.
"No where else is this possible," the newly elected mayor was quoted as saying by ABC News.
"The opportunity to bring two communities together and break down stereotypes that have belittled our nation is both monumental and humbling," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Ravindra Jadeja gets engaged to Rajkot-based mechanical engineer Reeva Solanki
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!
- Abhishek Bachchan's 'family' birthday—See pics