Muslim PIO chosen Mayor of Jewish town in US
Washington: An American Muslim of Indian origin has been elected as the mayor of a Jewish dominated township in New Jersey, across the Hudson river from New York.
Mohammed Hameeduddin, whose roots have been traced to Hyderabad, has become one of the few Muslim mayors in the United States. He was elected the mayor of Teaneck Township in New Jersey last week, following a fierce debate among its council members.
Hameeduddin, who won a council seat two year ago, earned five out of seven votes at the annual reorganisation of township government on July 1. It also elected Adam Gussen, a
devout orthodox Jew, as the Deputy Mayor.
"No where else is this possible," the newly elected mayor was quoted as saying by ABC News.
"The opportunity to bring two communities together and break down stereotypes that have belittled our nation is both monumental and humbling," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog