Muslim quota should be withdrawn: VHP
Varanasi: Speaking out against reservation
for Muslims, the VHP has said it will launch a "peaceful"
agitation if the central government`s decision to secure 4.5
per cent Muslim quota within the 27 per cent reservation for
OBCs is not withdrawn.
"The hurried step of 4.5 per cent quota to Muslims in the
27 per cent OBC reservation by the central government was
contrary to the constitution and was taken with an aim to
destroy the democratic rights of the majority," VHP executive
president Praveen Togadia alleged.
A nationwide agitation, the `Hindu Roti Bachao Andolan,`
will be launched against the decision, he said addressing a
press conference here yesterday.
The Congress-led UPA had thrown "fodder" in front of
Muslims, he alleged, adding that the government has taken away
the facilities of education, employment and bank loan from
OBCs through this and also the rights of the most-backward
This step may pave the way for religion-based
reservation, which is not allowed in the constitution, he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city