Muslims celebrate Id-ul-Zuha with gaiety across India
New Delhi: Id-ul-Zuha is being celebrated across the country on Wednesday with great enthusiasm and devotion.
President Pranab Mukherjee, Vice President Mohammad Hamid Ansari and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh have greeted the people on this occasion.
President Mukherjee, who greeted fellow citizens on the occasion, said the spirit of sacrifice and service is the essence of the festival of Id-ul-Zuha.
"It is an occasion to remind ourselves of the path of selfless sacrifice and forgiveness followed by Hazrat Ibrahim and to emulate the same," he said in his message.
President Mukherjee further said may the festival knit all the people of India in a celebration of our composite culture.
"We must derive inspiration from the observance of this day and strive to foster universal brotherhood. On the occasion of Id-ul-Zuha, let us remind ourselves of the unity of mankind and resolve to strive for communal harmony and peace," he said.
In his message on the auspicious occasion of Id-ul-Zuha, Vice President Ansari said the festival celebrates the treasured ideals of compassion, sharing and sacrifice.
"Let us observe this joyous occasion by spreading the message of peace, harmony and goodwill in our midst," he added.
The Prime Minister in his message said that Id-ul-Zuha celebrates the spirit of sacrifice of Hazrat Ibrahim.
"The festival is an occasion to reaffirm our faith in the unity of humanity and to be charitable towards the disadvantaged and the needy. May this festival spread peace and harmony and bring prosperity to all," Dr. Singh added.
Id-ul-Zuha (Bakr-Id), which is also known as Eid al-Adha or Id-ul-Adha, is a festival that Muslims celebrate with special prayers, greetings and gifts. It is also referred to as the festival of sacrifice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh