Muslims express dismay at Time cover story on Modi
Washington: Expressing outrage at the Time
magazine`s cover story on Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra
Modi, a leading group of Indian American Muslims on Sunday called
for an international campaign against the prestigious weekly
through email, letters and social media networks - Twitter and
"This is an unethical article. We don`t expect such a
glorification of someone who was involved in massacre of
Muslims in Gujarat 10 years ago," Shaik Saad, spokesman of
Muslim Peace Coalition said.
The New York-based organisation of Indian American Muslims
sent a mass email to its members and supports calling for an
international campaign against the Time magazine.
Saad said the group is seeking a meeting with the
editorial board of the Time magazine to "sensitise" them with
the sentiments of the Muslim community in the US and India
which has been deeply hurt by the "glorification" of its
recent article on Modi, the cover story of its latest issue of
the Asia edition.
Earlier in a mass "action alert" email, Shaik Ubaid, the
New York State Co-Chair of Muslim Peace Coalition USA and a
founding member of the Coalition Against Genocide that was
instrumental in getting Modi`s US visa revoked, denounced the
Time magazine`s glorification of Modi as "bad journalism and
an obscenely insensitive act", as it was perpetrated during
the 10th anniversary commemoration of Gujarat pogrom.
The "action alert" also called for a similar campaign
against the Washington-based think-tank Brookings Institute,
which a day before too wrote an unusual long piece on Modi
with the headline "India`s Most Admired and Most Feared
Politician: Narendra Modi".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre