Muslims observe Muharram across the country
New Delhi: Muslims, mostly Shias, on Monday took out processions and flagellated themselves on the
occasion of Muharram, which was marred by few incidents of
clashes, mishaps and stone-pelting in Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat
and Jammu and Kashmir resulting in the death of one person and
injury to some.
With flags in their hands, followers, commemorating
the martyrdom of Prophet Mohammed`s grandson Imam Hussein,
took part in the ceremonial mourning as slogans of "Ya Hussein
rend the air". Special prayers were also offered at various
mosques across the country to mark the occasion of Ashura -
the 10th day of Muharram, Islamic calendar`s first month.
But the religious fervour was marred by minor clashes.
At least six houses were set ablaze in Nai Basti area of Uttar
Pradesh`s Bhadohi district where a faction opposed to the
burial of `tazias` (replicas of Hussein`s tomb) on a disputed
piece of land by another group. The groups also indulged in
heavy stone pelting.
In Sarojninagar police station area of Lucknow, rival
factions clashed over beating of drums during a procession
resulting in minor injuries to some. In Belari police station
area of Moradabad, one person taking out the tazia died after
its metallic top came in contact with a high voltage wire. In
a similar case in Ballia, four people received serious burns
after their tazia touched a wire.
Some Lok Rakshak Dal personnel sustained injuries
following stone-pelting between two groups during a procession
in Ahmedabad`s Shahpur area.
Barring some stone pelting incidents at two places in
Srinagar, Muharram processions taken out across Kashmir Valley
including Leh and Kargil districts passed off peacefully. Shia
leader Syed Aga Hussain Mujtaba along with his seven followers
were taken into preventive custody for taking out a procession
from Dalgate area to Budshah Chowk.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves