Muslims observe Muharram across the country
New Delhi: Muslims, mostly Shias, on Monday took out processions and flagellated themselves on the
occasion of Muharram, which was marred by few incidents of
clashes, mishaps and stone-pelting in Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat
and Jammu and Kashmir resulting in the death of one person and
injury to some.
With flags in their hands, followers, commemorating
the martyrdom of Prophet Mohammed`s grandson Imam Hussein,
took part in the ceremonial mourning as slogans of "Ya Hussein
rend the air". Special prayers were also offered at various
mosques across the country to mark the occasion of Ashura -
the 10th day of Muharram, Islamic calendar`s first month.
But the religious fervour was marred by minor clashes.
At least six houses were set ablaze in Nai Basti area of Uttar
Pradesh`s Bhadohi district where a faction opposed to the
burial of `tazias` (replicas of Hussein`s tomb) on a disputed
piece of land by another group. The groups also indulged in
heavy stone pelting.
In Sarojninagar police station area of Lucknow, rival
factions clashed over beating of drums during a procession
resulting in minor injuries to some. In Belari police station
area of Moradabad, one person taking out the tazia died after
its metallic top came in contact with a high voltage wire. In
a similar case in Ballia, four people received serious burns
after their tazia touched a wire.
Some Lok Rakshak Dal personnel sustained injuries
following stone-pelting between two groups during a procession
in Ahmedabad`s Shahpur area.
Barring some stone pelting incidents at two places in
Srinagar, Muharram processions taken out across Kashmir Valley
including Leh and Kargil districts passed off peacefully. Shia
leader Syed Aga Hussain Mujtaba along with his seven followers
were taken into preventive custody for taking out a procession
from Dalgate area to Budshah Chowk.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days