Muslims observes Ramzan with prayers at mosques
New Delhi: Muslims marked the beginning of the holy Islamic month of Ramzan with prayers at various mosques on Thursday.
In Delhi hundreds of devout Muslims gathered at the Jama Masjid, to commence their month-long Roza after relishing the traditional Sehri.
In Islamic tradition, Ramzan or Ramadan is an auspicious month in which devout Muslims observe a fast from dawn to dusk everyday and worship and study the Holy Quran.
Ramadan is the ninth month and is considered the holiest one as per the Islamic lunar calendar, the beginning of which depends on the Imam sighting the New Moon through the naked eye.
Muslim residents in Delhi were seen eating their Sehri on Thursday morning outside the mosque.
“The month of Ramadan is a very holy one and it is meant for fasting and prayers. During this month Allah accepts our prayers. We ask for His blessings. Allah has given us the opportunity to serve Him during this month,” said Mohammed Javed.
During Ramzan, Muslims are forbidden to indulge in worldly acts or think improper thoughts. They also cannot indulge in offensive gestures or utter unkind words during this period.
Muslims buy meat and vegetables for their evening feasts known as Iftaar.
Observing Ramzan is said to strengthen one’s character.
Eid al-Fitr, Islam`s prime festival signifies the end of the holy month and is celebrated with lavish meals and presentation of gifts. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now