Muslims observes Ramzan with prayers at mosques
New Delhi: Muslims marked the beginning of the holy Islamic month of Ramzan with prayers at various mosques on Thursday.
In Delhi hundreds of devout Muslims gathered at the Jama Masjid, to commence their month-long Roza after relishing the traditional Sehri.
In Islamic tradition, Ramzan or Ramadan is an auspicious month in which devout Muslims observe a fast from dawn to dusk everyday and worship and study the Holy Quran.
Ramadan is the ninth month and is considered the holiest one as per the Islamic lunar calendar, the beginning of which depends on the Imam sighting the New Moon through the naked eye.
Muslim residents in Delhi were seen eating their Sehri on Thursday morning outside the mosque.
“The month of Ramadan is a very holy one and it is meant for fasting and prayers. During this month Allah accepts our prayers. We ask for His blessings. Allah has given us the opportunity to serve Him during this month,” said Mohammed Javed.
During Ramzan, Muslims are forbidden to indulge in worldly acts or think improper thoughts. They also cannot indulge in offensive gestures or utter unkind words during this period.
Muslims buy meat and vegetables for their evening feasts known as Iftaar.
Observing Ramzan is said to strengthen one’s character.
Eid al-Fitr, Islam`s prime festival signifies the end of the holy month and is celebrated with lavish meals and presentation of gifts. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'