Muslims should shed minority tag: RS Dy Chairman
Patna: Muslims in the country should shed
their ``minority syndrome`` and look at themselves as the
second biggest chunk of population in order to find solutions
to their socio-economic problems, Rajya Sabha deputy chairman
K Rahman Khan on Sunday said.
The change of perspective would give them a sense of
empowerment and of their being a collective unit to seek
redressal of their socio-economic problems from within the
community and the political system, he said at a conference
hosted by the Bihar Pradesh Qaumi Tanzeem (BPQT).
The Muslims should understand that the solution to
their problems did not lie with the government or other
communities, but with themselves for which they should set out
their priorities and look for a solution, the 73 year-old
Congress MP from Karnataka said.
It was a matter of concern that the community have
failed to unite their collective betterment 60 years since the
Independence, he said and asked the community to introspect on
the reasons for their deprivation.
The community stood divided on grounds of caste,
sub-religious groups, besides politically.
Stating that there was a general disinclination in the
community to educate its children, Khan said Muslims should
change their views to bring about improvement in their quality
of life, family, religious group and society at large, besides
making them competitive as with other sections of the society.
Referring to the demand for reservation in government
jobs and education for Muslims, Khan asked the community
members to ponder over their socio-economic and political
standing which has `declined to a level where demand for
reservation has to be made from within and outside`.
The community must take the blame on themselves for
having to raise reservation demands despite its number being
about 17 per cent of the population, when similar benefits
were extended to other communities without their seeking it,
There were also talk within the community of lack of
their numbers in Parliament and state legislatures, he said
adding Muslims should ensure that there was no division of the
minority votes to ensure their candidates win so that they
could speak for constitutional empowerment of the community.
NCP general secretary Tariq Anwar, RJD MLC and leader
of opposition in the legislative council Gulam Gaus, RJD MLA
Akhtarul Imam and Jamia Milia University`s Islamic Studies
Head of Department Akhtarul Vase were among those who also
spoke on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared