Must address threats to women’s security: PM
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Thursday stressed on the need for women’s participation in the country’s development.
Addressing the National Development Council (NDC) meeting here on Thursday, PM Singh said there can be no meaningful development if half the population cannot participate in this process.
Development cannot take place if women’s security and safety cannot be ensured, he added.
The PM’s remarks came in view of the brutal gang-rape of a para-medical student in the national capital earlier this month. The victim, who is battling for her life, has been shifted to a Singapore hospital and remains critical.
Dr Singh appeal to all the chief ministers present at the meeting to take care of the issue of women’s security.
He stressed that there was a need to address growing threats to women’s security.
The PM noted that his government has set up a Commission of Inquiry that will suggest measures to improve security and safety of women in cities and towns.
He added that the law on women’s security is also being relooked at.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note