Muzaffarnagar riot accused BJP MLA Sangeet Som gets Z category security
Zee Media Bureau/Ajith Vijay Kumar
New Delhi: The union home ministry has decided to provide Z category security to controversial BJP MLA from Uttar Pradesh Sangeet Som, reports said on Tuesday.
Som will be provided security by CRPF personnel but only within Uttar Pradesh, reports added.
The Centre took the decision to grant the security status following an intelligence input that Som faced serious threat to his life.
The MLA from Sardhana in Meerut is an accused in the Muzzafarnagar riots case. Som had spent time in prison after was booked under the stringent National Security Act for allegedly circulated a fake video on social media that fuelled tension before the riots. He is also alleged to have made inflammatory speeches.
Importantly, the family of Sangeet Som had earlier – in October 2013 - demanded security after they received a letter threatening to kill the MLA and his kin.
Also Read: Politicians condemn Z+ security cover for BJP leader Sangeet Som
The Congress has slammed the BJP for providing security to Som and questioned the motive behind the move.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!