Muzaffarnagar riot accused BJP MLA Sangeet Som gets Z category security
Zee Media Bureau/Ajith Vijay Kumar
New Delhi: The union home ministry has decided to provide Z category security to controversial BJP MLA from Uttar Pradesh Sangeet Som, reports said on Tuesday.
Som will be provided security by CRPF personnel but only within Uttar Pradesh, reports added.
The Centre took the decision to grant the security status following an intelligence input that Som faced serious threat to his life.
The MLA from Sardhana in Meerut is an accused in the Muzzafarnagar riots case. Som had spent time in prison after was booked under the stringent National Security Act for allegedly circulated a fake video on social media that fuelled tension before the riots. He is also alleged to have made inflammatory speeches.
Importantly, the family of Sangeet Som had earlier – in October 2013 - demanded security after they received a letter threatening to kill the MLA and his kin.
Also Read: Politicians condemn Z+ security cover for BJP leader Sangeet Som
The Congress has slammed the BJP for providing security to Som and questioned the motive behind the move.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Saudi cop shot dead in Shiite district: Ministry
- Twitter activates Foursquare-powered location feed for iOS users
- Shocking! Three murders within 48 hours in Delhi
- Copa America Final: Time for Messi to end Argentina drought in Copa final?
- Summer Olympics: Boxer Laishram Devendro out of contention for Rio berth