Muzaffarnagar riots: 408 booked for murder, IG to head SIC
Lucknow: As many as 408 people have been booked for murder in connection with the Muzaffarnagar riots while cases registered in the strife-torn district and adjoining areas were on Wednesday handed over to a Special Investigation Cell which will be supervised by an IGP (Crime).
IGP (Crime) Ashish Gupta was today made the officer in-charge to supervise the investigations at the state police headquarters here.
"IG (Crime) will be supervising overall probe, case-wise, at the headquarter level," IG (Law and Order) R K Vishwakarma said.
The officer said that besides 106 cases registered in Muzaffarnagar, other cases registered in adjoining districts were also handed over to the SIC.
"With this, 145 FIRs are being investigated by the cell," the IG said, adding that total number of accused in these 145 FIRs are 954, and in that 408 are facing murder charges.
A total of 253 people have been arrested and out of them 40 are murder accused, Vishwakarma said.
The officer also told reporters that security forces deployed in the troubled areas will not be pulled out. "The stay of 78 companies of paramilitary forces have been extended till September 30," the IG said.
Vishwakarma said that due to the upcoming festival season, a request will be made to further extend the deployment till October 17.
The UP government had yesterday formed SIC, led by Superintendent of Police (Crime) Muzaffarnagar Kavita Saxena to investigate the cases registered in connection with the riots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row