Muzaffarnagar riots: BJP leaders meet President, demand SC monitored probe
Zee Media Bureau/Manisha Singh
New Delhi: Senior BJP leaders and MPs and MLAs from Uttar Pradesh met Pranab Mukherjee on Sunday and demanded that the Assembly should be dissolved and President`s rule should be imposed in the state, in wake of the riots that broke out in Muzaffarnagar.
They also said that a SC monitored probe should look into the lapses as far as Western UP riots were concerned. BJP president Rajnath Singh led the delegation.
Later talking to reporters he said that the party had demanded that the enquiry in the riots should be done by a Supreme Court appointed judge.
On the other hand BJP MLA Hukum Singh, who has been charged with giving hate speech in the area inciting communal violence, said that President`s rule was the only option in the state.
More than 45 people have died and hundreds displaced, as riots broke out between the two communities in western UP. A local court issued warrants against leaders belonging to various political parties like the BSP, BJP and the Congress for inciting violence, some of whom have been arrested.
Parties cutting across political lines have blamed each other for escalating the violence in the region. The Samajwadi Party has been accused of not acting in time to curb the riots and of playing communal politics, the Akhilesh government in turn has blamed the BJP for stoking communal violence in the area and other parties for taking advantage of the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi