Muzaffarnagar riots: Politicians who feel the heat
Zee Media Bureau/Manisha Singh
Lucknow: A court in Uttar Pradesh has issued warrants against several politicians belonging to various political parties, who have been accused of inciting communal violence in Muzzafarnagar.
A brief look at some of those against whom warrants have been issued -
Sangeet Som, BJP MLA – Som has been accused of circulating fake video online that added fuel to fire and is said to have incited riots. He is allegedly to have said that the video was of lynching of two Hindu boys in the district. However, the video is said to be two years old and originated from Pakistan. His is a legislator from the Sardana constituency.
Bhartendu Singh, BJP MLA - Bhartendu Singh has been accused of giving hate speeches, fuelling the violence in Muzaffarnagar. However, Bhartendu Singh has reportedly said that he is innocent and that the ruling Samajwadi Party was conspiring to implicate him the riots that killed more than 40 people.
Hukum Singh, BJP MLA – Hukum Singh is accused of rousing communal hatred at a mahapanchayat in Muzaffarnagar. Hukum has been named in the FIR on charges of violating Section 144 (unlawful assembly) and inciting communal hatred.
Suresh Rana, BJP MLA – Another accused BJP legislator Suresh Rana has charged the SP government of intentionally targeting BJP leaders so that the focus from their own failures can be diverted. He has apparently said that there was no involvement of BJP in stoking communal violence in Muzaffarnagar.
Kadir Rana, BSP MP – The BSP MP has been elected from the district that saw major communal violence in recent times. Rana has been accused of making highly inflammable speeches at a gathering on August 30 after Friday prayers. This supposedly happened at a time when public meetings had been banned as tension was palpable in the area after the killing of three men in Kawal village - two Jats and one Muslim. Rana was earlier a member of the Samajwadi Party and the Rashtriya Lok Dal before he joined BSP in 2009.
Jameel Ahmed, BSP MLA – Jameel is a legislator from the Meerapur constituency and is accused of holding meeting with minority community members on August 30.
Noor Salim Rana, BSP MLA – Noor is a legislator from Charthawal constituency and he is also said to have been party of the meeting that took place with members of the minority community.
Saedduzzaman, Congress MLA – The Congress leader is a former MP from Uttar Pradesh and he is also accused of having made inflammatory speeches which triggered communal violence in Muzaffarnagar district.
Bharatiya Kisan Union leaders Rakesh Tikait and Naresh Tikait were also issued arrest warrants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster