MV Iceberg: Rescued Indian sailors return home after 32 month ordeal
New Delhi: After nearly 32 months of being held captive on board the cargo ship MV Iceberg, five Indians sailors released by Somali pirates returned home on Saturday.
Among those who were released due to India`s efforts were two Pakistani sailors who were dropped off the Oman coast.
The rescued sailors reached the IGI airport this afternoon and were received by External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid there.
"We have worked in a step-by-step manner and proceeded with the operation quietly and successfully and rescued them along with the Pakistani sailors," Khurshid told reporters.
The two Pakistani sailors would head back home.
"We have been co-operating with our neighbouring countries irrespective of borders and we are resolved to get all such hostages released as soon as possible," said the External Affairs Minister.
Khurshid added there are 37 more Indians held as hostages in various places and efforts are being made to bring them back home safe.
MV Iceberg, registered in Panama, had been seized by Somali pirates off the Yemen coast in March 2010.
The families of the captive sailors had earlier met the Shipping Minister GK Vasan to secure their release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015