My life is in danger: Rita Bahuguna Joshi
Lucknow: Rita Bahuguna Joshi, the Congress chief in Uttar Pradesh whose house was set on fire following her remarks against Chief Minister Mayawati, Monday said there was a "grave threat to her security" and that her life was in danger.
"I have grave threat to my security and she (Mayawati) can plan attacks on me. My life is in danger now but I am not scared. I have lived a lot but I will continue to fight for the poor, the oppressed and for women`s rights," Joshi said at a press conference here.
Earlier in the day, Joshi had reiterated her demand for a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the arson attack on her house.
The 60-year-old state Congress chief said she would continue her fight for the sake of truth.
"At any cost, I will not step back and will continue the fight to safeguard my principles and, of course, the truth."
Joshi`s house in Lucknow was set on fire Wednesday night allegedly by a group of BSP workers because she made remarks that offended Mayawati both as a woman and a Dalit.
Joshi was arrested early Thursday and charged under the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act. She was granted bail by a Moradabad court Saturday.
Joshi has already apologised for her remarks and demanded that the probe into the arson attack on her house be conducted by the CBI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre