My silence is better than a thousand answers: PM
New Delhi: Known for his preference for Urdu poetry, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Monday voiced his unhappiness over the BJP targeting him on coal blocks allocation saying his silence was better than a thousand answers.
Speaking to reporters outside the Parliament House after the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) refused to let him make a statement in the Lok Sabha, the prime minister said: "Hazaaron jawabon se achchhi hai meri khamoshi, na jaane kitne sawaalon ki aabru rakhe. (My silence is better than a thousand answers. If I start answering then it will throw up several more questions which will beg answers)."
He added that in view of the BJP`s "motivated attack against the government, this is one occasion I should be given to defend myself".
BJP leader Sushma Swaraj, in a rejoinder at a press conference later, said there would have been "so many teekhe (pointed) questions" that the prime minister would have been robbed of his "aabru" (honour).
In March last year, the prime minister and the BJP leader had had a verse exchange in parliament during a debate on the US diplomatic cables revelations on the cash-votes-scam by WikiLeaks.
Sushma had thrown a poetry gauntlet at the prime minister in the house, saying: "Since you have great liking for Urdu and Urdu poetry, Manmohan Singh ji, let me recite a couplet today. `Tu idhar udhar ki na baat kar, yeh bata ki qaafila kyon loota; hamein rahzanon se gila nahin, teri rehbari ka sawaal hai`. (Don`t talk hearsay, tell us why the caravan was looted; we have no grouse against dacoits but it is a question of your leadership)."
Manmohan Singh, who is known for quoting Urdu poetry in his speeches with a special liking for 18th century poet Mirza Ghalib, had said though he was no match to the BJP leader he wanted to respond. He said: "Maana ki teri deed ke qaabil nahin hoon main; too mera shouq tou dekh, mera intezaar tou dekh. (I understand that I am not worthy of your gaze; but have a look at my keenness, have a look at my anticipation for you)."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams