Myanmar not to allow its soil to be used by anti-India groups
New Delhi: Myanmar has assured India that it will not allow its territory to be used by anti-India elements and promised close cooperation in checking arms smuggling and drug trafficking along the international border.
This was conveyed by Myanmar Deputy Minister for Home Affairs Brigadier General Kyaw Zan Myint to Secretary, Border Management in the Home Ministry, A K Mangotra during a bilateral meeting held here.
Recalling the shared culture and traditionally close relationship between India and Myanmar, Mangotra expressed India`s commitment to strengthen cooperation between the two countries to eliminate the nexus among drug trade, arms smuggling and extremism and terrorism.
He also sought Myanmar`s cooperation for coordinated patrolling along the Indo-Myanmar border and dismantling of Indian insurgent groups camps in Myanmar for peace and economic prosperity in the region.
"Brig. Gen. Myint reiterated the assurance that Myanmar would never allow insurgents and negative elements to use its own territory for activities inimical to its neighbour India," a Home Ministry official said.
Both sides discussed and agreed to cooperate closely on issues like insurgent groups along the border, arms smuggling and drug trafficking, border management, presence of Myanmarese fishermen in Andaman and Nicobar jails, illegal smuggling of wild life parts and inspection and verification of pillars.
Both sides expressed satisfaction over opening of a third Border Liaison Office (BLO) between Changlang (Arunachal Pradesh) and Pangsau (Myanmar).
The meeting, held here recently, emphasised on nurturing BLOs to promote cooperation between law enforcement agencies of both the countries for peace and tranquillity along the border. It was decided to open a fourth BLO in Nagaland sector between Ukhrul (Manipur) and Somra (Myanmar).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report