Mystery SMSes garner support for Anna
New Delhi: No one seems to know where these messages come from. Nevertheless SMSes from unknown numbers are doing the rounds in an attempt to garner support for Anna Hazare who continued his fast at the Ramlila ground on Friday.
On the eve of Hazare leaving the Tihar Jail, an SMS from an unknown number read: "Support Anna in his fight against corruption while sitting at home. SMS ANNA to 53536 and express your support".
On sending the text, a confirmation message from a news channel is received.
Similarly other messages are also doing rounds - however the number from which the message comes does not flash, but only names like `Anna` or `TD-Corrupt`.
Asked if they have started an SMS campaign to garner support for the Gandhian who is demanding a strong, anti-corruption Jan Lokpal bill, a media coordinator of Team Anna denied it.
"We have not started any SMS campaign. We did start sending out SMSes, giving updates of our meetings and so on through a number called TD-IAC, but that has been discontinued," the media coordinator said.
"These campaigns are done by the people and maybe private companies...," he added.
Akshay Jain, a student, said that he has been responding to such text messages. "I responded to a couple of such text messages which say that each SMS counts...but I am not sure how this entire thing works".
Shruti Sharma, a teacher, is more critical.
"How will my sending an SMS benefit Anna Hazare? These things are bogus and people should be wary of such traps which will most probably benefit some private company which is out to ride on Anna`s popularity and reap some benefits," Sharma said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Salah Abdeslam slapped with terror charges over Paris attacks
- India deeply appreciates US' engagement in Asia-Pacific: Ashton Carter
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents