MZP sends memorandum to President
Aizawl: Mizo Zirlai Pawl (MZP) or the Mizo students association on Friday submitted a memorandum of the North East Students Organisation (NESO) to President Pranab Mukherjee seeking his intervention in the attacks against the people of the North East in Delhi.
NESO urged the Centre to take effective measures by the appropriate authorities which could give mental, social and physical security to the students and people of the North Eastern region studying and residing in Delhi and other parts of India, the memorandum said.
The memorandum, narrating the attacks on north easterners said that on January 29, a student from Arunachal Pradesh Nido Taniam was beaten to death.
"We demand proper and swift high level enquiry of the incident and to give exemplary punishment to the people involved," it said.
Two women belonging to the Thangkhul Naga community were assaulted, while a minor girl from Manipur was raped at Munirka on February eight. Two Manipur boys were assaulted on February 10.
Such incidents of assault and molestation were happening on a frequent basis resulting in a feeling of insecurity, especially among women, the memorandum said.
The MZP leaders handed over the memorandum to state Governor Vakkom Purushothaman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Italy quake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors
- Syria launched chemical attacks, IS used mustard gas: UN report
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact