MZP sends memorandum to President
Aizawl: Mizo Zirlai Pawl (MZP) or the Mizo students association on Friday submitted a memorandum of the North East Students Organisation (NESO) to President Pranab Mukherjee seeking his intervention in the attacks against the people of the North East in Delhi.
NESO urged the Centre to take effective measures by the appropriate authorities which could give mental, social and physical security to the students and people of the North Eastern region studying and residing in Delhi and other parts of India, the memorandum said.
The memorandum, narrating the attacks on north easterners said that on January 29, a student from Arunachal Pradesh Nido Taniam was beaten to death.
"We demand proper and swift high level enquiry of the incident and to give exemplary punishment to the people involved," it said.
Two women belonging to the Thangkhul Naga community were assaulted, while a minor girl from Manipur was raped at Munirka on February eight. Two Manipur boys were assaulted on February 10.
Such incidents of assault and molestation were happening on a frequent basis resulting in a feeling of insecurity, especially among women, the memorandum said.
The MZP leaders handed over the memorandum to state Governor Vakkom Purushothaman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened