N-E build-up not to counter Chinese: Air Chief
Itangar/Bangalore: As an airfield in the
border state of Arunachal Pradesh was reactivated today, IAF
Chief Air Chief Marshal N A K Browne said beefing up
infrastructure in the north-east is not to "counter" the
Browne also said the Vijaynagar airfield, located at the
country`s easternmost tip at the tri-junction of India, China
and Myanmar, is too short to operate fighter aircraft.
The Air Chief said in addition to AN-32 cargo planes,
which will be in operation now, there will be C130 transport
flights in due course from the airfield.
The airfield is "too small for fighter aircraft," he
It was reactivated today in the presence of Arunachal
Pradesh Governor General (retd) J J Singh.
Asked whether the infrastructure plans in the north-east
were to "counter" the Chinese, he said: "It`s not to counter
anybody. All that we are doing is to provide tremendous amount
of accessibility to the north-east region".
He pointed out that the region had not developed because
of inability to transport people and provide access to certain
hinterland areas. The increased accessibility would lead to
all-round development of the north-east, he said.
"And while we (IAF) are there, we will also support the
Army", he added.
The use of Vijaynagar airfield was discontinued in 2009
for carrying out repairs there.
The airfield is used for air maintenance and will help
in mobilising troops and equipment at a faster pace as and
This is the first Advanced Landing Ground (ALG) in the
north-east to be upgraded in what is seen as India`s efforts
to match Chinese military infrastructure development
ALGs in Pasighat, Mechuka, Walong, Tuting and Ziro as
well as several helipads in Arunachal are also being upgraded.
IAF has so far activated its ALGs in Ladakh including
Nyoma, Daulat Beg Oldi and Fukche and is planning to convert
Nyoma in to a full-fledged air base.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi