N-weapons proliferation a big problem: Hillary
Kolkata: Calling nuclear-armed Iran a principal threat to the world, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Monday said proliferation of nuclear weapons is one of the biggest problems in the world.
"The proliferation of nuclear weapons is one of the biggest problems the world is facing. It`s not only one country that we worry about, we worry about nuclear weapons proliferation in other countries too," she said at a gathering in La Martiniere school for girls here on the second day of her India visit.
"A nuclear arms race - that would be very damaging… our biggest fear is that nuclear weapons could fall into the hands of terrorist groups."
"We believe that at this moment the principal threat is nuclear-armed Iran because Iran is a state sponsor of terrorism. They work through a proxy called Hizbullah. Recently we broke a plot where the Iranian government was trying to murder the Saudi ambassador to the US," she said.
"Recently they were engaged in bomb building in Thailand. So I just want everybody in India to understand that we have nothing against Iranian people. President Obama has said we want a different relationship with Iranian people but so far there has been no reciprocity. And what we hear from the region surrounding Iran is a lot of anxiety, what they believe is that nuclear-armed Iran is a threat to world peace."
When asked why the US administration has stopped short of taking any action against Israel as it has violated several UN resolutions, Hillary Clinton said: "Obviously the US believes that whatever difference one might have with the situation in Middle East, Israel has been defending itself for 60 years and has left no stone unturned to bring a peaceful resolution to the situation, but it has so far been unsuccessful in doing so."
"We continue to press for peaceful resolution, particularly on Palestinian issues, which the US cares about," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees