NAC discusses steps to protect Jarawas
New Delhi: Concerned over the controversial
video footage on the Jarawas, a panel headed by Congress
President Sonia Gandhi on Monday regretted the exploitation of
tribal women in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
A meeting of the National Advisory Council (NAC) also
discussed briefly the steps to be taken to protect the
The committee "briefly discussed" about the primitive
tribal group who are threatened with extinction and
"regretted" the exploitation of them in "beastly condition" as exposed in
a video footage, a source told PTI.
It also discussed the steps to be taken to protect the
"vulnerable" Jarawas, sources said.
However, the committee did not take any policy decision
in today`s meeting as model code of conduct for assembly
elections in five states is in place, sources said.
The Centre has already ordered an inquiry by the chief
secretary and director general of police of Andaman & Nicobar
Islands into the video footage showing semi-naked Jarawa
tribal women allegedly being ordered to dance before tourists
in return for food.
In 2006, the previous NAC had constituted a sub-group of
experts to suggest an action plan for protection and
preservation of the Jarawas.
Welfare of the Jarawas was revived for discussion in the
meeting of the NAC last year in which their current status was
reviewed in consultations with the ministries concerned and
the Andaman Island administration.
The NAC also discussed several other issues which include
a national programme for homeless and social security scheme
for unorganised workers, the sources said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata