NAC for dedicated courts to try offences under SC/ST Act
New Delhi: Sonia Gandhi-led National Advisory Council (NAC) on Tuesday recommended setting up of dedicated courts to try offences under the SC/ST Act on fast track basis besides defining `wilful negligence` by public servants.
The council also suggested that preventing Dalits and tribals from entering places of worship, imposing social boycott on them should be made punishable offences.
At its meeting here, the NAC deliberated on the proposals of its working group on Dalit issues to amend the Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act.
Obstructing members of such groups from using community resources will also be made an offence under amendments proposed by the NAC to the 24-year-old law.
It wanted the government to make provisions in the Act to ensure that the cases are disposed of within three months from filing of the charge sheet.
The NAC also recommended that relevant IPC offences attracting punishment of less than 10 years committed against SCs and STs should be defined as offences under this act.
It also wanted expansion of the scope of presumption as to whether perpetrator had knowledge of the SC/ST identity of the victim, while committing the offence.
It further suggested strengthening State accountability by clearly defining `wilful negligence` by public servants.
"Rules to the Act be amended to ensure that quantum of relief and rehabilitation is enhanced, and further that it is not calculated as a fixed amount, but adjusted annually to inflation. In addition, the compensation should be released expeditiously," the NAC suggested.
Nandan Nilekani, chairman of the Unique Identification Authority of India, made a presentation on the Aadhaar project and Direct Benefit Transfer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside