NAC for written consent of 75% farmers for land acquisition
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Wednesday, May 25, 2011, 23:42
  
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of the farmers' stir in Greater Noida, Sonia Gandhi-led NAC on Wednesday proposed that acquisition of land for development should have consent of three-fourth of village councils and provide for compensation six times the registered value.

At its meeting chaired by Gandhi here, the NAC reached a consensus on combining the Land Acquisition (Amendment) Bill, and Resettlement and Rehabilitation Bill into a single National Development, Acquisition, Displacement and Rehabilitation Bill.

"All land transfers for public purpose must come under the purview of this law," Aruna Roy, member NAC, told reporters here.

The various suggestions made by the NAC included the one requiring written consent of 75 per cent of the farmers and gram sabhas for acquiring their land for development projects. It implies that the rest 25 per cent will have to follow suit.

One of the recommendations to the government would be giving farmers six times the registered value of their land as compensation, Harsh Mander, another NAC member and convenor of the Working Group on Land Acquisition and Resettlement and Rehabilitation, said.

He said there was consensus in the Council on inclusion of persons working on the land into the category of project- affected persons which would make them eligible for receiving compensation.

"This would recognise the most invisible persons in the land acquisition process who lose their source of livelihood once the land is acquired," Mander said.

The NAC recommendations also include giving farmers the right to annuity for a certain number of years over and above the compensation for the land acquired from him.

It also suggested giving monthly pay outs to farmers instead of annual pay outs.

The recommendations seek to make consent of farmers a must for land acquisition for projects by the private sector.

It also proposes to set up a commission to hear complaints related to land acquisition process.

The NAC decided to write to the government on enacting a central law to protect the livelihood of over one crore street vendors across the country.

The government had earlier favoured that states take the responsibility for effective implementation of the National Policy on Urban Street Vendors contending that a central legislation in this regard may not be effective.

In a communication to the NAC, the National Association of Street Vendors of India (NASVI) had contended that if protection of street vendors was left to the states, it was unlikely that they would enact a legislation.

"The national law can give the policy a logical conclusion which has to be implemented at the ground level," it said, adding that the model bill proposed by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation fell short of the aspirations of street vendors.

"We welcome the response of the NAC and hope that the government would immediately set in motion the process to draft the central law to protect the livelihood of street vendors," said Ranjit Abhigyan, project manager of NASVI.

PTI


First Published: Wednesday, May 25, 2011, 23:42


comments powered by Disqus